The Software Update Point role in SCCM 2012 Beta 2 has a variety of options to be configured:
- Proxy server settings
- SUP ports & SSL certificate security
- Products to be synchronized
- Update Classifications
- Critical Updates
- Service Packs
- Security Updates
- Update languages
- Synchronization Frequency
- Synchronization source
- Microsoft Windows Update
- An upstream WSUS server
- Supersedence rules
Configuring SUP Settings
Most of the Software Update Point settings are available under the following console node: AdministrationOverviewSite OperationsSites.
Note: Just like a web browser, you can use the [Alt] + D keyboard shortcut to set focus to the Address Bar. You can then paste the path in the Address Bar and hit enter.
Right-click the site system that has the SUP role installed, and select Software Update Management Point.
This will present you with the dialog shown below. It looks a bit incomplete (mainly because of the Languages tab sitting alone in its row), but this is only a Beta product, keep in mind.
Configuring Proxy Settings
Proxy settings can be configured during the initial installation of the Software Update Point (SUP). If you need to configure a proxy after the SUP has already been installed, then you may have some trouble finding where to configure it. You’ll need to navigate to Administration –> Overview –> Site Operations –> Servers (AdministrationOverviewSite OperationsSites) and Site System Roles, then select the server that holds the SUP role in the right-hand pane. In the bottom console pane, you should see the software update role listed – either double-click it or right-click it and select “Role Properties.”
Here is the screen with the proxy settings on it:
Initial Update Catalog Synchronization
During the initial synchronization of updates, I went to check on the status of it in the MonitoringOverviewSystem StatusComponent Status console page. Since there are quite a number of components that are independently monitored, I typed “wsu” into the search box to filter for WSUS-related component logs.
From there, I pulled up the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER component log in the status message viewer.
The full text of the message reads:
WSUS Synchronization failed.
Message: Failed to sync some of the updates.
After this, I went to the the ConfigMgr Logs folder and pulled up the wsyncmgr.log file and saw the following:
sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 1570 out of 1570 items (100%)
Sync failures summary:
Failed to sync update 5e03116c-2370-4ac0-80e0-da33f7822026. Error: License agreement not ready. This is a transient state while WSUS is downloading the agreement. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.ProcessEulas
Failed to sync update 0645b81b-edef-42bd-a3a4-99caa872d833. Error: License agreement not ready. This is a transient state while WSUS is downloading the agreement. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.ProcessEulas
Sync failed: Failed to sync some of the updates. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.SyncUpdates
STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=SCCM01 SITE=LAB PID=1804 TID=3116 GMTDATE=Tue May 10 16:41:28.412 2011 ISTR0="Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.SyncUpdates" ISTR1="Failed to sync some of the updates" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0
Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes
After performing another synchronization, the error seems to have cleared up. I didn’t have to accept any license agreements though, as the error message might indicate. Perhaps that will be requested when I go to deploy the updates.