In this situation, I’m working with a System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 2 R3 central + child primary site configuration. Both sites have local databases, and all SCCM components (eg. management point, provider, distribution point, etc.) are local. SCCM clients are a combination of Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2.
Recently on the child primary site, I started getting a bunch of MIF processing errors in the INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER component on a primary site. I had recently made some very minor edits to sms_def.mof, by enabling a few additional properties for reporting – I didn’t add anything new or custom to my sms_def.mof or configuration.mof, so I was a bit surprised to be running into issues.