I was trying to get Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS Focal Fossa installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. While this seems like it should have been a straightforward endeavor, it was rife with trial and error, and hence frustration.
Here’s what finally worked for me.
- Download and install the Raspberry Pi Imager tool
- Visit the Releases page for Ubuntu 20.04
- Download the
- Use the Raspberry Pi Imager tool to flash this file to your microSD card
I connected my Raspberry Pi with an RJ-45 cable to the physical network, and plugged in a monitor and keyboard, due to the issues I was having.
- Login with default username / password of ubuntu / ubuntu
- IMPORTANT: Run
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade --yes
- Edit the
- Add your wifi configuration to the file
sudo netplan apply --debug
This got me up and running, however I still have a problem where I am unable to connect to a 5Ghz wifi network. Instead, I had to connect to my 2.4Ghz wifi SSID for the time being. Keep an eye on this bug report for more information about the wifi issues.