System Center 2012 SP1 Orchestrator is a tool to help automate enterprise processes. It stresses the reduction of code writing, which has its benefits, but also has its drawbacks. In my personal opinion, everyone should learn how to write code. These days, if you’re focused on the Microsoft platform, there is nothing better to learn than PowerShell. Knowing how to write code will help you to fill in gaps in the integration of two or more software products.
Given the wide array of functionality offered by System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager, it would seem highly desirable to use Orchestrator to automate some of that functionality. You can perform functions such as:
- Creating or deleting Collections
- Invoke Collection membership evaluations
- Add or remove Collection Membership Rules
- Enumerate Collection members
- Deploy Applications or Configuration Baselines
- Invoke ConfigMgr client actions
In the next section, we’ll explore how to set up integration between Orchestrator and Configuration Manager.